How do I sort by domain for email addresses in an Excel file?
To sort email addresses by domain, follow these steps:
Create a duplicate of the Excel file.
Start the copy of the file and click on the column to the right of the column formulated with the email addresses.
Right click the column you just outlined and select Insert. This creates a blank column that you will require later. Duplicate this step so that there are two blank columns when you are done.
Duplicate the email ID column and paste it into the 1st blank column you just produced. (This will give you a column to sort while still protecting the original column of addresses.)
Try out Benchmark Email Software
- Now click on the column that contains the copied email addresses.
- Click Data > Text to Columns.
- Select Delimited and click Next.
- Make sure the only box checked is Other and enter the @ symbol in the box.
- Click Finish.
- A window will pop up inquiring if you want to replace the contents of the selected cells. Pick OK.
- Note: The email addresses are now separated into 2 columns. The first one contains the information before the @ symbol. The second one includes the important information after the @ symbol, which is the domain.
- Save the file.
- Click Data > Sort.
- Choose the column title you need to sort (the one that contains the domains) and select how you want it sorted (for example A – Z).